Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Little Cheese with your Spaghetti?

Mealtime is our nice evening time. It's the time when we arrive home from the gym, hungry, talkative (sugared out), and ready to eat. Usually My Sweetie cooks. He is the better cook, and so I let him do what he does best.

Last night was spaghetti. Spaghetti always bring back a certain fond memory, and a few of my readers will recall what I am thinking of. Maybe I'll even recount this little story in this post. For now, let's get back to dinner.

The pasta was made, the sauce was ready. We were sitting at the table with fork in hand ready to go. Then the famous question.....would you like some Parmesan cheese on your spaghetti? Sounded like a good idea. So I picked up the container, and tried to shake out some cheesy flakes. I shook and shook and shook. One tiny little flake fell onto my plate. Most of the cheese had formed a ball, so nothing was getting out.

Until My Sweetie decided to shake the living bejeezies out of it.

The bottom cracked open...and there was flakey bits everywhere! All over him. All over the floor. All over the table.

And, what else does one do at a time like this? One laughs hilariously!!! Belly laughs for sure.

Which brings me back to a time many years ago. It was summer, we were wearing shorts, and we were at my MIL's house for a family gathering. Spaghetti was on plate for dinner.....wait, let me correct that....spaghetti was in lap.

While the plates were being handed out, My Sweetie's portion somehow slipped off his plate and landed in his lap....teeming hot pasta, landing on his bare legs.

People were yelling, scooping, cleaning.....not My Sweetie.

He was off of his seat like a rocket. He propelled himself to the upstairs bathroom, stripped out of his shorts, and proceeded to try and save his groin and private parts. He didn't care about the rug or the chairs.

Would you?

To this day, we still convulse in laughter at this story (heck I am laughing now!)....not laughing at My Sweetie though. No. But for some stupid reason, recounting this story is sure to bring a tear of laughter to our eyes.

But to be honest, I am not sure why we crack ourselves up on this one.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

That story reminds me of my son and a plateful of macaroni and cheese. He's never been the most coordinated person so about 25 years ago as the kids and I sat down to eat supper, he'd dished himself out a great big plate full of mac and cheese and then, decided to come into the living room and eat it while seated in a chair there. He was warned not to do that because I could see the writing on the wall but he insisted he would be careful, wouldn't spill it, etc. He place the plate on the big wide arm of the chair and as he started to settle back into the chair, I can still see, in my mind's eye, the plate moving, in slow motion, down towards the seat of the chair and the contents -all that mac and cheese -ending up between the arm and the cushion. I can still see the crestfallen look on his face too as he knew the first words out of my mouth were gonna be "I told you so!" We still tease him about that meal to this day so many years down the road and I'll bet money my girls will be harassing him about this years from now too, long after I'm gone from the face of the earth! Why we find scenes like that funny -I'm not really sure -but face the facts, we all do that, don't we?

Anonymous said...

This is why we serve our pasta in bowls. LOL!

Barb said...

Thanks for the laughs! Not AT your Sweetie, but WITH your Sweetie. :)

lattégirl said...

Pasta in bowls here, too!

This happened to the Teen once... he walked with his plate into the living room and the whole thing slid right off onto the floor.

Problem was, the Teen got really angry. I helped him clean up but he was so mad, he refused another plate. Now he laughs about it, but I really had to work to calm him down that night.