Thursday, December 21, 2006

On My 9th Day of Pre-Christmas

To recap, we have My 1st Day of Pre-Christmas, My 2nd Day of Pre-Christmas, My 3rd Day of Pre-Christmas, , My 4th Day of Pre-Christmas, My 5th Day of Pre-Christmas, My 6th Day of Pre-Christmas, My 7th Day of Pre-Christmas, and My 8th Day of Pre-Christmas.


On My 9th Day of Pre-Christmas, my warm heart gave to me,
9 hours of volunteer work
...8 hours of pole-vaulting kitties
......7 hoards of humbugs
.........6 pesky telemarketing calls
............5 HOURS OF TREE DECORATING
...............a 4 dollar Charlie Brown tree
..................3 truckloads of food
.....................2 pooped people with tired bodies
........................and a brand new king size bed.


Today left me with sore feet but also with a warm heart. I did something that I have always wanted to do, but never seemed to be able to for one reason or another. I spent the day shopping for toys, and I didn't spend a single cent.

Every Christmas, for about the past 25 years, the local area gets together to form Santa's preparation area, where elves organize a shopping spree. Volunteers get to 'shop' from the pre-organized tables of food and toys, tables that are piled high with donated toys for tots from some very generous and kind people. I was able to spend 9 hours helping out with this 'shopping for tots' exercise. It was way more loads of fun that I even thought it would be, I met some really nice people, and I have never ever seen so many toys. So many Barbie dolls, Bratz dolls, trucks, cars, puzzles, all waiting to be picked up for some needy child. So much food.

All of this work culminates tomorrow night, when the Christmas hampers will be picked up by or delivered to needy families. I am planning on returning for a 3-hour shift tomorrow morning.

This season gets so caught up in a frazzled buying cycle. We just get caught up in so many other worrisome parts of the holiday, when in reality, this is what it's all about. The kids. Kids that maybe won't have anything under the tree. Kids who maybe don't even have a tree. Families who may not have enough to eat. Kids who get to share Christmas with one parent or the other. Just kids.

Now, don't you think that it was totally easy for me to get through the day. There were times that I became very teary about what we were all doing, becoming emotional at the whole experience. Then, as quickly as it came, I got over it, and returned to shopping for that 6 year old boy with special needs, or the 2 year old girl who has part time parents, or the 3 month old.

Tis the season to be jolly, yes, and it is also the season to share, and be kind, and to be thoughtful, and to give back for all of the wonderful and lucky things that most of us are blessed with.

And, as usual, with that in mind, I bid you all a good night.
God Bless....

Merry Pre-Christmas!

No comments: