Monday, December 11, 2006

Four More Sleeps


Four more sleeps until what you might ask? Well, four more sleeps until our new king size bed arrives. Now I know this might seem an odd time of year to buy a new bed, but really, is there ever a good time to buy a new bed? Probably not. We've had the current bed frame for about 20 years. It was a water bed frame sans water bed. The mattress is only about 7 years old.

But it's time for a new mattress. And for something just a little bit bigger.

Now a sane person would ask why two relatively small people need a king size bed? Well, it's the kitties fault. You can blame them for the expense. The bed is really for them, not us. The same way that the house is for them. We merely have the joy of sustaining it and maintaining it.

Back to the kitties.

We are a family of routine, and these two little darlings certainly have us well trained. They know the routine at breakfast time, which is, they follow me around until they see me heading for the staircase. Then they tumble down the stairs and herd me toward their food bowls.

The dinner routine is a little different. Less herding, but way more meowing.

Now, bedtime, and this is the part that relates back to the mattress and the new bed, requires another ritual. One of the kitties usually scouts out the joint (even though they know it pretty well after all of these years) while the other one starts to find a comfortable spot, usually near me, mommy. Then they eventually both end up on the bed with us, usually in a horizontal position, resulting in either or both of us having absolutely no room at the inn. For myself, when I need to turn from side to side, imagine turning a souvlaki skewer on a BBQ. I feel like a souvlaki on a skewer.

So, four more sleeps on the old mattress and bed frame until the new sleek version arrives. King size mattress and box spring. New headboard. Toe stub preventer bed frame. Camel colored duvet cover with bed skirt and two pillow shams. A duck filled duvet (quack quack). Two sets of sage colored sheets. Two thermopedic pillows.

While visions of monthly payments danced in their heads.

9 comments:

Heather in Beautiful BC said...

Oooooh, sorry I missed you.... we could have chatted about everything and nothing! I know you will LOVE your king size bed - we have one and I get the best nights sleep ever - as long as the door is shut and the cat is out!

masgblog said...

our cats, of course, will never be out...this new bed is for them!

terry said...

what an excellent christmas present for your cats!

uh....i mean, yourselves.

Barb said...

I like how you said they herd you. It describes it perfectly! I used to have cats, too! Luckily our dog sleeps UNDER the bed.

When I met Mike, I had a twin bed. Now, you've seen pictures of both of us, so you can imagine how that went.

The next year he brought over the queen sized mattress and box springs he and his ex had used. I was uncomfortable in more ways than one, but at least we had more room.

Then the next year, he bought me a new pillow-top set. We love it. :)

Barb said...

Quack quack.

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

I posted a post tonight and I'd like to get as many new xmas treats recipes as I can. Looking forward to yours, if you have the time.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Jeni said...

My little cubby-hole of a bedroom barely has enough room for my twin bed so I'm really in deep envy for anyone having room to turn during their sleep without fear of falling out of the darned thing.

Our cat (Gracie) often likes to camp on my bed - with or without me - and sometimes I will wake up with her sleeping on top of my arm or whatever part of my body is arched so she can flop down and get comfortable. Cats sure are a trip to have around, aren't they? Gracie almost caused a major calamity the other day when my daughter went down to the basement carrying a basket of clothes and wasn't aware that Gracie had decided to descend the cellar steps in front of her and suddenly stopped! Mandy didn't fall, but did yell a lot and scraped her elbow on the side wall trying to keep her balance!

lattégirl said...

Ah, yes - the skewers. My kitties race to see who gets the primo spot with me - right behind my knees (if I'm lying on my side) or right BETWEEN the knees (if I have the misfortune of being on my back). Changing positions usually involves inching my way into something comfortable for ME whilst not disturbing THEM.

When I take an afternoon nap, because that's what old people do, I usually end up with all 3 cats vying for position not only NEAR me, but AGAINST me, which means I can't move at all.

And the herding is funny. Mine don't herd me, but when they want something (invariably: food), they dash ahead of me, often scooting right up against my shins so that I almost trip on them.

Ah, ich liebe der katzen.

Mike said...

Your new bed will be good for the kitties. Now all you have to do is get a nice tree to go with it and you'll be all set.