Saturday, November 18, 2006

Almost Dying In A Restaurant....Of Embarrassment

Welcome to the weekend. And to welcome the weekend, we typically go out for dinner on Friday night. Last night was no exception.

We went to a cozy little Indian restaurant situated in downtown Sleepy Hollow. Sleepy Hollow claims it to be the best Indian restaurant (but it also just might be the ONLY Indian restaurant in Sleepy Hollow).

But I digress.

It's a very casual place, not very fancy, but the food is authentic Indian cuisine, and quite comforting. We were settling in, taking in the menu and the crowd, and I had noticed a lady friend from the gym. It appeared that she recognized me, and so I waved to her, and she waved back. Casual hellos were shouted and giggled across the room (which is not very big mind you.....imagine a very large living room) and I figured that was the end of it, and we would return to our immediate company....her with her large crowd at the table and me with My Sweetie.

It was what happened next that completely blew me away.

She yelled the following out loud (and in case it was not heard, another member of her table reiterated it)....'So how come you're not with your regular partner?' I was aghast. Quite embarrassed. I looked at My Sweetie, looked at the table, looked over at their table, and proceeded to turn a thousand shades of red.

You see, I don't go anywhere without My Sweetie. We are always together, always have been, and probably always will be, so this statement about where my other partner was caught me off guard, and I was totally confused. I told My Sweetie that there is no one else, and I didn't know what they were talking about.

We proceeded to order and have dinner. Later on, my lady friend came over to say hello (in a quieter and more personal fashion), and apologize. She had made a mistake. She knew who I was, but also admitted that she thought that I was someone else that she knew......someone who looks very much like me. That other lady's husband does not look like My Sweetie.

Can you now imagine if this had happened to some other couple, perhaps a couple with an unstable relationship, or a couple who have infidelity problems, or your typical jealous beyond belief couple?

It's probably best not to even venture there.

Happy Weekend......

7 comments:

Mike said...

Wow, I can imagine your embarrassment. Just as a joke, many years ago, if I saw one of my fellow workers at a bar (he was single at the time) talking to a girl, I would ease up to him and casually ask how his wife and kids were. It was all in good fun though. I would later tell the girl he was talking to that I was just joking. It can be a bit embarrassing though.

Barb said...

Om my gosh! I almost don't know what to say!!! You HAVE to add what SWEETIE was looking like and doing when this happened.

Of course it's funny to read about, but I would have about died.

masgblog said...

all........

It was not in the least bit funny. At first I thought she was joking, then I dodn't know what to think. I was also worried what My Sweetie was thinking, but we talked later and he just knew. Thank goodness we have trust and an open relationship.
I was so embarrassed, at being called out in a public place and for something with which I had no involvement.

jeweledrabbit said...

Boy, talk about indiscreet on the part of that loudmouth.

Barb said...

I didn't mean to imply that it was FUNNY funny even though it came out that way. I'm sure you were totally mortified! You are lucky to have your Sweetie. Some men might not have handled it as well as he did.

Psst.. it's Blogging Chicks day :)

masgblog said...

everyone - I survived Friday night, so no worries. Last night we were part of an amazing evening, which I won't be blogging about, but just know that all is cool in Canuckland.

:-)

thx skittles for the Blogging Chicks reminder....

terry said...

omigod... how awful! thank goodness she came over to apologize.

yikes.