Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Just Another Ear Worm

Yesterday, My Sweetie started singing 'Just Enough For The City'....the Stevie Wonder song (Hi Skittles!). Now that song is drilling a hole through my brain. Over and over, the tune is filtering its way throughout my head. Even as I sit peacefully sipping my tea, I hear it. Annoying little ear worm.

It's funny how some ear worms occur....and some mind worms (new term). Sometimes it might be a song that floats in out-of-the-blue. Maybe it was triggered by some event. But, when an ear worm strikes, then look out! It will probably stay around longer than you hope. Burrowing its way deep into your consciousness. Hence, 'Just Enough for the City'.....rolling around over and over again in my brain.

Sometimes, I get 'computer-coding-after-effect' worm . It's sort of like an ear worm, but a little different. Like last night, for example. I was working on some HTML for a website. I had been working on making the site have a fresher look, and had spent a few hours. When I got to bed, and I started to shut my eyes, I had HTML code racing across my eyelids. I'd open my eyes for a bit, but as soon as I'd close them, I'd see HTML again.

Then there's always the 'where-is-my-fillintheblank' worm. This usually strikes just about the time that your head hits the pillow and you start to drift off to sleep. You start to think about something that you've misplaced for example. Like my iPod. You can't recall the last time that you've seen the item, and now you get to thinking about it's present location. Did someone steal it? Did I leave it somewhere? Is it in the garbage? After you've extinguished the million and one possibilities, you get up and decide to start searching for the thing. Gosh knows, that you won't be satisfied until you've found it.

Anyway, all of these little niggly wigglies should take note, and quit messing with my head. It interrupts with the few human beings who try to mess with my head.

7 comments:

Scribbit said...

I couldn't get to sleep last night for the same reason. All the things that I needed to do tomorrow. I swear I'm insane sometimes :)

Barb said...

Hi back :)

I used to get the tetris ear worm. I'd play it so much that after I was done I would still see it.. just like the html thing!

How did you like Idol last night??? Didn't you like the guy who was better known for beat-boxing? Can't wait to see the girls tonight!

lattégirl said...

Skittles - the Tetris worm got really bad for me when I would look out the window and mentally fit blocks into the shapes between buildings across the street. I thought I was going MAD!

Later on, I got the "chat room worm" - when I'd dream about being involved in chat room conversations. That was tiring.

This past weekend, I got a worm that lasted 2 days from the title of someone's blog entry. I wasn't happy.

Lately, I have "word worms," where as I'm trying to fall asleep, I write lists of words or phrases.

None of these have been that enjoyable.

Nikki Neurotic said...

Ugh, yes, they are very annoying sometimes. I especially hate the music worms...I love music but I tend to get one certain section of a song stuck and I can't get past that one little section or it's a song I really don't like.

Jeni said...

I've had those things too - "ear worms" or the game worms as well and I thought I might be a little nutso because I had no idea the affliction hit others as well! So good to know if I am a bit crazy, I have company there then! LOL

Anonymous said...

Which "worm" pays the income tax? Just wondering.

terry said...

would it make it worse if i told you that song is actually titled "living for the city?"

now it's stuck in MY head.

could be worse, i suppose...