Tuesday, October 24, 2006

How Do You Thank Someone Who Is No Longer Here?

Back in July, I wrote a post For My Honorary Sister, Pat. Our families became interconnected through my late Mother, and so we are, in a way, extended family.

We had just started our vacation, and we were on our boat, in the middle of Georgian Bay, when we had learned this very sad news. Unable to return in time for the service, I wrote the post.

It's now been 3 months since Patricia left us, and it is still very difficult, but we are all trying to adjust to her absence, trying to move on, especially Her Hubby.

But, it seems that Patricia is still guiding and helping Her Hubby. He might find little notes or reminders, just as I found little notes after my Mom passed away. But, there have been some odd things happening also. Her Hubby told me that he found something - a wrapped gift in an air conditioner box. Pat had bought, and wrapped the gift, and placed it in the box, knowing that the air conditioner would need to be stowed away after the summer, and before the cold weather set in. Little did I know that there was another gift in that box.

My birthday gift. A gift from the past. Eerie, yet comfortable, and special.

Even though she was going through so much at the time, she had lovingly and thoughtfully, bought, and wrapped, and placed that gift, knowing that it would be found, to be delivered in time for my birthday. And, for anyone who knows me as KittyLady, the gift was everything about cats; so typically Pat.



So, exactly how do you say thank you to someone who is not here anymore? Well, I guess, yesterday was that thank you, with the lovely time spent with Her Hubby, and knowing that I always have my private thoughts and prayers, sent to my angels who are never out of my thoughts.

They say it is not about the end but about the journey that takes you there. Well, there was a journey, and there was an end, but there is another journey waiting to unfold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

By writing this entry in your blog, I think you did just that. This is how you thank someone that isn't here, by remembering them.

Anonymous said...

By writing this entry in your blog, I think you did just that. This is how you thank someone that isn't here, by remembering them.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's quite an amazing and thoughtful thing for Pat to have done... in advance.

masgblog said...

cunada ein - yes it was. My Mom and I were very lucky to have had her in our lives, and I miss both of them so much.