Thursday, August 13, 2009

Audition

In my last post I made reference to an audition that the gym was holding in order to search for cycling instructors. They are actually looking for Pump, Step and Flow instructors as well. I found this out later. So, I had a preconceived idea that I would try for the Pump and Spin sets.

A little background. I have been down this road before. A few years ago, I had wanted to teach, and somehow I volunteered to learn to teach Step. I took the required courses and then was scheduled to shadow teach....then things all fell apart for me. Work became horrendously busy for me. Things were not going well and I felt too much pressure to continue. I threw that opportunity away, walked away, and chalked it up to experience.

This time it is a little different. It is not so much voluntary. Going to the audition is voluntary, but after that only accepted individuals will be selected.

When I arrived there last night, I was handed many sheets of paper, and had to fill out numerous forms, and then I was advised to pick one discipline, because we could only try out for one area....not both Pump and Spin. I had to really think about this one, because I love both of those disciplines (among others). So, I picked Pump because it is truly my passion.

The room was packed...about 40 people arrived to try out. I was probably the oldest but was certainly one of the more fit people there. We all had to do a Flow class and a Pump class. Then we had a choice to do either the Spin or the Step class. I did Spin. During these mini classes, scouts were evaluating the participants, with particular focus on the individuals who selected their discipline of choice. Photos were being taken, and attention to technique and form were high on the agenda.

Now, there was something strange that certainly stood out. When I go to the gym, I always bring my gym shoes, be that my trainers or my cycling shoes. Last night I brought both. But there were actually people who arrived in flip flops thinking that they would only be doing the Flow class (which requires bare feet). Boy were they surprised to find out that they had to do Pump and one one of the other 2 classes...and they had to do them in either their flip flops or bare feet....gross!

Good thing I was a Girl Guide...always be prepared.

I'll let you know the results of the audition. As I said earlier, it was never about getting picked or not...it was about going...and I already succeeded.

1 comment:

lattégirl said...

The very last line says it all! Being willing to do something opens the way for all kinds of things to happen.