Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin 1937-2008

George Carlin. There's a name that everybody recognizes. Who doesn't have something that flashes across their mind when they hear his name? He was just one of those comedians who was 'out there', I mean really out there. He laid it all out on a platter for all to see, and then made you think...and react. Now, you either loved what he did or you didn't, sort of like Lenny Bruce, but whatever your reaction was, it was sure to be a hard hitter.

My late Dad's birthday was today, and he loved Carlin, so it was only fitting that I created this post. Dad was a big Carlin fan. He enjoyed him so much, that he went out and bought 'Occupation: Foole' on LP (I still have that LP packed away in our basement). Everytime Carlin would do the 7 dirty words you can't say on TV or the bubbles in the bathtub skit, he'd roll with laughter.

Almost everybody did. He was that kind of funny guy. If you were fortunate enough to get to see his facial expressions, well that made it even more hilarious.

Mr. Carlin, thanks for your peculiar brand of laughter...and for being real...and genuine.

You will be missed.


Here are some of his most famous quotes...enjoy.
Always do whatever's next.

At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.

Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.

I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away.

I think it would be interesting if old people got anti-Alzheimer's disease where they slowly began to recover other people's lost memories.

I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work.

I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me - they're cramming for their final exam.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.

I'm always relieved when someone is delivering a eulogy and I realize I'm listening to it.

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect.

If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

In comic strips, the person on the right always speaks first.

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.

One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.

Religion is just mind control.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

Standing ovations have become far too commonplace. What we need are ovations where the audience members all punch and kick one another.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.

The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going.

The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

The status quo sucks.

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Think off-center.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

What does it mean to pre-board? Do you get on before you get on?

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?

When Thomas Edison worked late into the night on the electric light, he had to do it by gas lamp or candle. I'm sure it made the work seem that much more urgent.

When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands.

You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar.

7 comments:

Jeni said...

Thanks for a really great tribute to George Carlin. He was truly one fantastic comedian, for sure. I've read many posts today paying homage to him, to his work and viewed so many videos of him I think I'm almost cross-eyed from it all but still, it was very interesting and a lot of laughs too seeing the videos, reading his one-liners too!

Liz Hinds said...

Do you know: I don't know George Carlin. But those are some wonderful quotes!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the wonderful tribute. I am a great fan - I would have loved to have seen him in person.
Thanks for the laughs, George!

lattégirl said...

I've been under a rock. I didn't know he had passed away. My brothers and I spent hours listening to his comedy albums in the 70s.

The world has lost a comedic genius. Thanks for all those quotes - they bring back lots of memories!

lattégirl said...

P.S. The rest of his weather forecast: "Continuing mostly dark tonight, turning to widely scattered light in the morning."

(lol - I never forgot that one...)

Az said...

Yes, he will be missed. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :(

Nice job on getting up all those one liners! Thanks for such a nice tribute to a great comedian.

coyotedreamer said...

The 23rd is my b-day too. I loved George Carlin and all he had to say. A lot of it hit the nail on the head!!
Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, my bears are a little different from yours, yours is cuddlely!!!! My condolences on losing your dad, all dads are missed.